There are several strategies for studying spelling words.
Many students have difficulty remembering spelling words. Here is one easy, practical approach to studying for spelling words.
Homework Solution: Impress Spelling
Impress Spelling Technique –
- Write each of your child’s spelling words on an index card in large print.
- Have your child trace each word using a thick crayon, pressing firmly as she writes each letter.
- Have her put down the crayon and trace over the letters with her finger as you say them together.
- Have her “take a picture” in her mind of the card so that she can look up and still see the letters.
- Have your child trace over the visualized word, saying each letter as she traces it.
- Play with the word – ask: What color are the letters? What is the first letter? What is the last?
- Have her spell the word from her visualized image, pointing to each letter as she says it.
- Move the visualized image back to the paper and write the word exactly as she remembered it.
This technique uses the visual, auditory, and kinesthetic channels to anchor the word and it’s spelling.
NOTE – This technique sometimes seems to parents that it will take longer. Getting prepped may be a bit longer, but this system is very effective at getting those words “down cold” in about the same amount of time most students spend studying.
Give it a try and let us know what happens!
Parent Info Meetings
Why do smart students sometimes struggle in school?
We regularly hold information meetings to help answer that question. We’ll listen to what it’s like at your house. We’ll help you make sense of what’s happened in the past. And we’ll give you some strategies for how to make it better.
“Will he grow out of it?”
“Will a different teacher make a difference?”
“Will I finally get to stop spending hours and hours on her homework?”
“Can my child actually enjoy school?”
Bring ALL your questions and together let’s help you figure out the best way to make this the BEST year ever!